Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Whither to Rest?

I'm trying to find a place for my mom to live. She has early-onset dementia, and I have found some sources for support: A Place for Mom (thanks, Google) and the AARP site (thanks, A), plus a terrific HR staff person at work who leads a support group for families of those with Alzheimer's. Finding a place seems difficult since I don't have a specific prognosis and don't really understand the financial situation. Yes, I'm another daughter who prefers not to deal with mom directly, so I have to cope with not-so-much information, a curse for a librarian but a blessing for me as a daughter. A&I have been thankful that each of us has long-term-care insurance; we're having a lawyer prepare wills, trusts, powers of attorney, etc.

In the meantime, I'm trying to prepare for our upcoming wedding under the care of the Friends Meeting, actually accomplish some work at work, and still have something of a social life with our friends. I feel overwhelmed and depressed both yesterday and today, tired and cranky. I need to spend time in the woods but twisted my knee yesterday. Thus, that connection I can readily sense with God while I'm in the woods and fields isn't quite as accessible. I encouraged A to pick out a book of the Bible that interested her, for us to read bit-by-bit at night...maybe we'll be able to take that up this evening. I wish for a sense of sabbath.

No comments: