Thursday, January 3, 2008

Reflecting

On Jan. 1 (2008), the New York Times had a column called "The New Year's Cocktail: Regret with a Dash of Bitters" by Benedict Carey about reflecting on our past experiences and the process of maturing as adults, which I found very thought-provoking. Emotionally healthy folks tend to look at what was gained in past situations when they might have chosen differently were they to have that choice again at the present. I guess it's a reminder to see god/the good in situations instead of spending energy in blame or regret, and to look at the bigger picture.

For example, had I gotten a job other than the one I have currently, I probably would not have had the energy to make a marriage--and this is a relationship I cherish more than any other. I'm inexpressibly grateful every day for A.

And I get thanked in my job fairly often, e.g., today I received this: "What a thoughtful email and helpful service you are offering! I am not sure if my students will be able to use Library helps as it's a skills class, but I was really impressed with the potential of the resources you suggest. Have a great semester. Thanks for all you do, [X]." Whereas I can imagine fielding many more complaints with fewer rewards if I were in any of the other positions I had applied for in the past 3 years.

I had a fairly quiet and quite restful holiday: I got to read a lot while eating fudge and cookies and watching the bird life at the feeders, walk in the woods, and cross-country ski.

OK, enough PollyAnna--those of you who know me know I'd rather complain than breathe some days! So I'll get back to it now--anyone passing by who'd like to stop in for some "blue air"?
; )

No comments: