Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Licensed to...

I'm still reading Amish "inspirational fiction" and am glad that as a non-Amish woman, I am able to speak my mind, wear pants, fly on airplanes, pray however I want, not have to cover my hair, have electricity in the house, have a driver's license. Regarding the last: now illegal immigrants will not be able to get a MI driver's license. I wish someone could explain to me how that is a good thing. Will the immigration laws be eased and the process sped up, or will we simply have more unlicensed drivers, who if discovered, will be deported?

On the work side: just finished up adding to our Arabic literature collection (children's books in Arabic; adult literature in translation). I was finally able to "blow up" the Arabic script enough in the website and my Excel file to match ISBNs with titles & authors (in Arabic script & transliterated but not translated), which was quite a puzzle.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm a Quaker library science student. I'm creating a bibliogrphy of materials for GLBTQ young people of color. Do you have any suggestions on stuff for Arab-American/Muslim kids?

Mary

Kim Ranger said...

Mary,
I'm so sorry I didn't see your comment/question earlier! Yet I don't have any suggestions for you; you could contact the GLBTRT folks at ALA or take a look at their website, http://www.ala.org/ala/glbtrt/welcomeglbtround.cfm