Tuesday, May 5, 2020

COVID-19 6

What have I been learning to do differently to support online learning?
  • Did a literature search and revised library subject guides to include more instruction and to reduce “cognitive load” with better design; modified my guide profile to include COVID-19 special information
  • Revised handouts to be more specific as online learning objects
  • I have used PowerPoint for conference presentations, but thought that for the online spring courses, I would use PowerPoint as a jumping off point to create videos. So far, no instructional videos, but the PowerPoint supplements the other items
  • Created a 18-second Panopto video to introduce myself to students; also learned how to incorporate a quiz into the video
  • Learned how to create Blackboard Course Rooms for specified office hours
  • Learned to use Zoom
  • Learned to use the Lib Apps virtual chat module
  • I got a sanctioned institutional account, learned to sign into Google Hangout and to create Google Meetings, and moved items from my private Google Drive to my new institutional account for security and privacy 
  • Read the article by Wagner, Travis L., and Archie Crowley. (2020). “Why are bathrooms inclusive if the stacks exclude? Systemic exclusion of trans and gender nonconforming persons in post-Trump academic librarianship.” Reference Services Review (48), 159-181. https://www.emerald.com/insight/publication/issn/0090-7324/vol/48/iss/1 Although I had already included many of the recommended practices, I revised the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resources guide to be even more welcoming, as there have been more articles about LGBTQIA people feeling especially isolated during COVID-19

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're working hard and learning a lot. I appreciate what you are doing for the workplace, and it's good to see your brain cells absorbing more information. Hang in there, sweetie.