Wednesday, April 22, 2020

COVID-19 4

One of my colleagues asked to meet online but hadn’t used google meet before – he was pleased with it being so easy, and actually tutored me on changing my settings even though it was his 1st time using it! He has been thinking about how to re-open in f2f with shields between faculty and students in offices and in public-facing offices (in my case, our service desks), using only the largest classroom/lab spaces with fewer students.

Will the uni limit the # of students in f2f classes for the fall? It seems counter-productive to financial sense but common sense for maintaining health. If we schedule f2f library instruction, do we ask to split the classes up into different days or sessions if they have too many students to space appropriately? It’ll be noisier when we ask them to collaborate while being farther apart, and we can handle that! (As long as we’re prepared ahead of time.)

How do we do the “working with each student individually” in a lab/classroom setting? I can only imagine it takes away from emotional safety if a student has to share their topic loudly. We might have to do this in hallways if in a space that allows for it and in my library, have one of the adjacent small rooms booked.

I’m not sure how to handle f2f individual consultations in my office – or if we should only use the bookable small group rooms – but wiping them down in between uses? And/Or do we both wear masks, no matter which space we use?

I think we could do some great brainstorming together!

No comments: