Monday, April 13, 2020

COVID-19 2

Yesterday, we went to a park for a short walk. We walked slowly on a boardwalk at the end of the road and saw a few birds, a bird's nest, ripples on the lake, pussy willows, and a lone Spring Beauty blooming. As we returned to the car, I was grateful that another walker had waited for us to leave the path before he proceeded.

Grateful that he stayed away.

That is what has been the most difficult thing for for me about this crisis.* Being afraid of seeing other people, of interacting with them when I can't control the distance. Of picking up groceries or take-out food when the substitute shoppers, cooks, and servers aren't wearing masks of any sort. Of neighbor kids running full tilt toward me as they are pulled along by their dog. There's nowhere to go, no escape. I have to turn my face and body away, hold my breath, keep walking until I am compelled to breathe.

Is there anything positive that may come from what’s happening?*
Via social media, I've seen cool art and crafts that others are making. I've sent more letters, both via snail mail (hurrah for the USPS) and email. I've made more of an effort to cook on the weekends, trying recipes that are new to me. I've exercised more during the week. I chat more with colleagues.

More on another day.

*Prompts from:
. "Why You Should Start a Coronavirus Diary." New York Times, April 13, 2020.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/13/smarter-living/why-you-should-start-a-coronavirus-diary.html

No comments: