Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Info Lit: Discovery

Once again Barbara Fister got to the heart of the matter in her opinion piece:
"The new information literacy framework makes an effort to redefine what it means to be information literate by focusing on seeing the context within which knowledge is created and shared, as well as understanding how authority is constructed and why making good choices is such an important part of the process.... discovery is greatly influenced by developing habits that predispose us to be inquisitive and help us navigate a world of information that doesn’t necessarily begin and end with the library. ... It's a combination of developing personal curiosity and opportunities to join conversations being held by communities exploring the world in a variety of ways. Can librarians help with that? I would argue that’s one of our most important jobs."

Yes, I have never been able to subscribe to the idea in the old standards that discovery "means determining an information need." Really? That's not what sparks me to start looking for info. I'm curious. Something interested me. Someone said something I want to verify or disprove. I want to do something in a different way than I have done it before. And so on.

Fister, Barbara. Peer to Peer Review (October 16, 2014). Redefining What Discovery Means. Retrieved from http://lj.libraryjournal.com/ on November 11, 2014.

1 comment:

Pixie the dog said...

That always bothered me too. Either you were handed an assignment & topic, or you had an itch to find out the answer to something, or to investigate it.