- Relevance of 1st 10 results: 1 pt for each article on topic = 0-10 points
- Target number of articles closest to (to be determined by students) X = 0-5 points
- 3 points: within 3-5
- 2 points: within 6-10
- 0 points: more than 11 away from the target number
- Used Boolean Operators AND/OR/NOT = 0-5 points
- Used limiters such as truncation or wild cards, date range, quotation marks for phrases, language, or scholarly or peer reviewed (1 points for each type of limiter) = 0-5 points
- Used subject headings/words/terms (1 points for each box) = 0-3 points
- Used Advanced search option = 0-2 points
Next steps: try it out with the student assistants & ask them about the target number of articles, about which rewards will have the most effect, such as extra credit points, etc., for winning.
So, what makes it a game? Rules, decisions that players have to make to get points, and the points themselves.