Wednesday, January 28, 2009

sick day

I came down with a cold last week Wednesday & thought that I was all better yesterday. Woke up this morning feeling rotten--blew my nose for an hour & a half, then took some cold medicine & went back to bed. Finished reading 2 novels I was in the middle of--one a story I will give to a young friend who is 13, Time of the Eagle: A Story of an Ojibwe Winter by Stephanie Golightly Lowden, about a 13-year-old Ojibwe girl in the 1870's after smallpox wiped out her family band. The 2nd was also a YA novel, Blown Away! by Joan Hiatt Harlow. This told the story of a 13-year-old boy living in Islamadora in the Florida Keys during 1935 & the horrific hurricane. It was very moving since I was there & saw the devastation--the railroad bridge with huge chunks missing, & drove on the highway they had been in the middle of constructing. It gave me a good feel for that period of history of the Keys. Now time to return to bed.

No comments: